Wednesday, December 16, 2009

May Your Days Be Merry & Bright

As the end of the year fast approaches, it’s an appropriate time to reflect on what you’ve accomplished this year, and plot how you plan to attack the coming year.

So… how far did you make it in 2009? Get off to a good start? Zig-zag all around? Two steps forward, one step back? However far you traveled, celebrate the fact that you’re on the road to better health, even if the place or the pace isn’t exactly what you envisioned. Be proud of the fact that you’ve recognized that there’s work to be done and set about getting started. You’re moving in a positive direction, and that can’t help but be a good thing.

I realize that the holidays can be a hectic, stressful time for this weight-loss business. Parties all over the place, tantalizing holiday treats everywhere you look. The days are filled with celebrations among friends and family, where paying attention to your game plan doesn’t feel particularly festive.

Cut yourself some slack, that’s what I’d tell you. We’re not robots, immune to the fun and frivolity of the world around us. Tis’ the season for gatherings and get-togethers, mirth and merriment. Your schedule is bound to get off-track this time of year; there’s just so much to do, so little time. You may have to skip a workout to run down a Christmas gift. You may be forced to have a cup of eggnog and a slice of cake. Don’t beat yourself up…

But I will say this: cutting yourself some slack doesn’t have to mean shoveling crap in with both hands. It doesn’t necessarily give you license to pack on twenty pounds between now and New Year’s Day. Take a breather if you want, but reflect on why you’re here and remember that there’s still some heavy lifting left to do when the tinsel settles.

There’s no reason the year ahead can’t be the one where you break free from the chains that’re holding you down. That’s what I feel like right now, like a man released from shackles that were keeping him from the life he wanted, the life he deserved.

When you’re far from the summit, the mountain looks massive, forboding, unbreachable. It’s easy to see the scale of the trek ahead of you and write off your chances, say to the world and yourself that it’s just too damn difficult an undertaking. It’s just too hard…

What spurred me on, what gave me the strength to get moving myself was reading the stories of people who were conquering that mountain. Folks who were halfway up, three-quarters of the way, standing on the pinnacle and shouting to the heavens.

“This mountain can be scaled!”

That’s what the people who went before me were calling back.

“You can do it, too!”

I read their words, became inspired by their stories. Because really… they’re just plain old people like me and you (well, like you anyway…). They’re not “Biggest Loser” contestants or celebrities with access to live-in personal trainers.

Just folks committed to doing a little better, being a little bit better.

On Easter Sunday of this year, I put my head down and took that first tentative step toward my personal mountaintop. It was every bit as hard and heart-wrenching as I thought it would be, but I was continuously inspired by the people in front of me. And pretty soon, I noticed something kind of odd…

There were people behind me, too. As inconceivable as it seemed to me, there were people who had longer, harder roads than I did and who were inspired by the progress I had made. Keep on the path and I have no doubt the same thing will happen to you (if it hasn't already).

Enjoy this holiday season, and use the time to get a second wind. Once this new year hits… this new year with all its endless possibilities and potential… I’m going to be after you to get going for real.

Here’s to a wonderful holiday season.

45 comments:

  1. Isn't it something when you take a second to look back. When you allow the people to surround you and support you instead of trying to go it all alone. Makes a difference.

    Merry Christmas, Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might be be the best holiday season post I have read so far. Actually, it IS the best one. Thank you Jack. I have a Christmas luncheon tomorrow and a party on Saturday night.

    Congrats on such a great year and thank you for sharing your journey. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack, just a wonderful post & so from the heart! LOVED IT! I like that you put this in too: But I will say this: cutting yourself some slack doesn’t have to mean shoveling crap in with both hands. It doesn’t necessarily give you license to pack on twenty pounds between now and New Year’s Day.

    I do think people should enjoy if that is what they want to do BUT don't take yourself so far back that you feel like crap OR you start beating up on yourself. There are ways to enjoy without even putting on a pound or maybe a couple pounds. But even if you put on a couple.. so what.. get right back to it & all is fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely lovey, thank you for being an inspiration to so many! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas Jack, you never let me down!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jack, you have brought us humour and touching moments throughout this year. You have made such a huge accomplishment and that is something to definitely be proud of this holiday season. Merry Christmas and thank you for this wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas, Mr. Sh*t.

    You know, if I hadn't gone offtrack this summer I would be with you on that pinnacle right now. Kind of sad. But I'm back and will be joining you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been quite a momentous year for you, Jack. I love the fact you know what's really worked for you and others.

    I agree with you that one of the essential things on the journey are the people around you offering inspiration and support. It took me a while to learn that lesson in 2009, but I got there in the end and now 2010 looks positively glowing.

    Thanks for your kick ass pep talks this year, Jack, as well as making me laugh along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is excatly why I took your advice, I have my whole life to lose those last 10 pounds, right now I am living in the moment and trying to not add any more added stress :-)

    I think this is my favorite post - I may or maynot have said that before :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm almost at the summit too, but I am still inspired by stories of people trying to make it every day. Maintenance is a forever kind of thing. I find I have to just keep on what I have been doing just to maintain. Yes, when the holidays are over, I'm going to kick some ass and get at those last 10 lbs. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true. Have fun and hold the line is my goal for the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This may be my favorite thing you've written (in the serious vein). As one who struggles and beats herself up all the time over falling out of "perfect" mode, I really needed this. Thanks Jack - you made my day merry and bright today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This. THIS is why I love your blog.

    Thank you for the dose of motivation this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post Jack, loved reading all you had to say. I look forward to this coming year and continuing this journey with all my fellow blog buddies. It's going to be a great one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post Jack! You have done a great job on your weight loss journey-that is why I follow ya! Oh and your sorta kinda funny too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. All I can say is "Thanks". Gave me a boost today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been beating myself up alot lately Jack! Im still losing but I just havent been self motivated lately....Thank you for inspiring me since the beginning of my journey. Im trudging up that mountain myself and though I seem to stop and rest alot lately, I KNOW Ill reach it one day.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for this post. As I just started my journey this past Monday, I dread the idea of the Christmas season coming. All the temptations and all the sacrifices (of food) I will have to make. From this post I learned that it's ok to still be me (all be it, a more controlled and thoughtful eating me.) I probably will enjoy a small cookie or two but I won't escape the inlaws with a whole tray of sweets into a back bedroom like I did last year.

    I am proud of starting this journey. It is nice to know there is something to strive for and it's also nice to know I can comfort those "behind me."

    Thank you for your post, Jack.

    Happy Holidays!

    Julia
    jewliagoulia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. My days are always Merry, if not bright. And I do love to eat, drink and be myself. This season, I'm concentrating more on the friendship and less on the table. There are good people in my life, and I want to celebrate them!
    (Yes, that includes people who write funny, clever, and thoughtful blog posts like this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome post yet again! I am wondering if you are a professional writer for a living, your good ;) I am actually posting something in relation to what you are talking about tomorrow. Even at my goal weight now for quite some time I still struggle to this day, every day with my old "Bad Habits!" They always return it's just the changes you choose to make and are hopefully strong enough to stick to even at your weakest point. Check me out at http://dietfix.blogspot.com/ I would love for you to join and put up your hilarious commentary!!! You are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm on the journey too....moving along pretty consistently. And it makes the goal seem so real when I read about others hitting it.

    Great post Jack...

    ReplyDelete
  22. You always one up yourself! I kinda forgot that something’s are "ok" and being an occasional slacker for a day is fine. You're so balanced... :smiles:

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay, love this post. You are so right! It's not as if you're going to go the rest of your life without eating a Christmas cookie, it's just defeating those demons that make you shovel in the whole tin, feel like a failure, and then go crazy until Jan 1st. Cut yourself some slack indeed, but not so much you take the rope and hang yourself, right?

    ReplyDelete
  24. as always a truly fantastic post, very thought provoking as well

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amen to catching my breath ... as long as I don't inhale a liter of Jack! ... Daniels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really appreciate this post. It is during parties and holidays that I tend to say what the heck its Christmas/almost Christmas/New Years/Snowing/whatever excuse I can think of and just eat everything good I can get my hands on. I usually sorely regret it as soon as I leave whatever party I am at. I realize that I have started blogging and making my health commitment to myself at the hardest time of year but my true goal for this Holiday season is balance, something I tend to lack.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post. Great insight for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was really lovely to read. Of course my days are merry, I mean, duh.

    But seriously, happy holidays my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This was SO powerful. Thank you.

    You're right, we're not robots. I appreciate you saying that. Sometimes it's nice to be reminded of that. Even if it does mean that come the new year, we have to work our butts off!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jack, this was a really beautiful post. It gave me the goosebumps of joy and happiness.

    Thanks for the great advice regarding my interview. Not only did I show up drunk, I brought a plush penguin and insisted he have his own chair. I am a shoe in! Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  31. We're all like a fitness choo-choo train, the way we inspire and are inspired by others as we chug along.

    I'll admit that when I first read "cut yourself some clack" I wanted to put my hands over my ears and go LA LA LA after that, not wanting to hear any conditions attached to this permission slip. But there are conditions and limits. And over time, moderation does become easier and natural.

    Happy New Year, Jack. You've conquered that mountain like a thousand Edmund Hillarys and Reinhold Messners.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awww, this is a great post! All very true, too.

    Although, you know, it's really not that hard. The basics of it (eat less and exercise more) are not hard at all for the most part. I'm always amazed at how easy it is to rack up the calories burned on my heart-rate monitor.

    The hard part is actually doing it consistently!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for these thoughts, Jack. So useful right now, and so perceptive - the ones who succeed understand that this is real life, eggnog and all, and eating a Christmas cookie is not the end of the world.

    Enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Why, Jack. You are rather eloquent and deep. Very nice writing, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very well put. We all tend to go from one extreme to the other. When it's moderation we have to learn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just try to enjoy without losing control. Happy Holidays!

    -Denise

    ReplyDelete
  37. You've had one awesome year, and you fought hard for it.

    Wishing you and your family the happiest of holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Amen, Jack. Great post - loved the line that you don't have to shovel in crap with both hands just because you can't do it all. You have SO MUCH to be proud of. Must feel great to come to the end of the year and see your incredible success. HEARTY congratulations and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you, Jack. Been having a rough time of it lately with so much going on ...
    I fully expect to take you up on getting after me in a couple of weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wonderful post, Jack! You are so right. We can do this. We are doing this, no matter how halting and slow the pace might seem sometimes. There is not backing down.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails