Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Few Things Left To Do

Weekly weigh-in: 204.0
Loss: -.8
Total loss: 87.5 lbs.
Emotion: Holly jolly about my write-up on AOL

Because my dad Horace is diabetic, he doesn’t eat sweets or cake. Instead, he just “samples” them. Nevermind that those “samples” are generally larger than the “suggested serving size” (which are generally designed for mice, I’ve decided).

I was thinking about that because of the time of year, I guess. Over the years, big packages of holiday goodies have been known to show up at our office breakroom. I wouldn’t eat any of those cookies or candies, but I would “sample” them every time I walked by (and I seemed to be walking by more often than usual, come to think of it).

Harsh economic times have affected the holiday food-giving business over the last few years, I’ve noticed. Last year we didn’t get as many trays of treats as the year before, and I expect fewer still this season.

Oh, there’ll be some, to be sure… temptations aplenty, but I’m confident that I’ll be able to tap into that well of strength and determination I’ve been building up enough to say “no thanks” to a crappy grocery store sugar cookie, even if it comes adorned with sprinkles.

I’m at my goal weight now, but you’ll notice a sweet-ass little “-.8” under my weekly weigh-in numbers. Here’s my plan (and I do have a plan, mind you), and I’ve decided to quit this blog as soon as I’ve finished all three.

  1. Make my assault on Onederland. That idea was simply out of the question when I began this journey, but now it seems inevitable. I’m not going to put a time limit or get crazy about it, but 4 lbs? Yeah, I think I can do that. With my eyes closed (especially around the treat table).
  2. When I scribbled out my milestones over on the side of my blog, I obviously did it without putting a whole bunch of thought into it. I said that I’d sacrifice my dog when I lost 90 lbs. after all. I never seriously intended to kill my dog Dip (but please don’t tell her that; she’s been on her best behavior of late), but I don’t think I seriously intended to lose 90 lbs either. And 100? I stopped there because it’s a big round number, but part of me thinks that it would be something to lose 100 lbs. That’s rarefied air, I think. I’m going to see how it goes, but it definitely on my radar, even if I only get there for a few minutes.
  3. I plan on keeping this weight off for the rest of my life. That means being smart about what I do and smart about what I eat. It means not losing focus on the big picture or all the little pictures that make up the big picture. It means learning a whole new set of rules and guidelines that’ll allow me to balance good times and good choices. It’s a skill-set that I’m sure will take a lifetime to master, but luckily that’s exactly how long I’ve got to commit to it.

So… as soon as I wrap up these three goals, I’m blowing this pop-stand.

x

32 comments:

  1. We have many of the same goals. Tough, but doable.

    And you just HAD to say popsicle stand, didn't you? Well, "pop stand," same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maintenance brings it's own challenges. It's not as exciting as dropping weight, either -- and that's the big one, I think. "Sampling" holiday treats, no matter how lame, just never worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha ... i was sad there for just a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude you're so close to that 100! I am way proud of you and Way excited for you!
    Cindie

    ReplyDelete
  5. ): are you serious? No more daily sh!t? Damn!
    And you go man, you can so do the onederland thing, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plenty of room for you here in Onederland, Jack. Put Dip in a little basket, get on that yellow brick road, and come join me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like we are "stuck" with you for a while more!!!!! :-) Hey, congrats on that AOL write up! You are 6'4"!!!! Crap, you could stomp on me if we stood next to one another!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It’s a skill-set that I’m sure will take a lifetime to master, but luckily that’s exactly how long I’ve got to commit to it."

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maintaining my goal weight.....THAT has been the tricky (ok...wrong word..impossible) part for me throughout the years. I do hope you stick around in that phase...for a long time....as I am going to need all the help I can get as soon as I get this last 20 or so pounds to vacate!

    I have done things quite differently this time around..which I think will contribute to my success at maintenance (once I get to that phase)...I have eaten more calories, have eaten more protein, and have done strength and aerobic training. These things will all help....but NOT if I just decide one day to say "f*ck it"....and go back to my old habits.

    PLEASE DO stick around, dear Jack....your blog DOES make a difference to many of us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One thing I learned...

    Really no difference between 204 and 199. Keep doing what you are doing. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jack. You had me worried there for a minute!

    Yes, only got the rest of my life to sort this thing out. But I'm just not sure that's going to be long enough. Errr, can I get an extension?

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, funnily enough, David Kirchoff, CEO of WeightWatchers, noted on his blog the exact same thing, that he's noticing fewer big food gifts lying around their office! That's one sign of a crappy economy that I fully endorse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Phew, you scared me! I am glad you committed to a life time of blogging because I am very addicted to your blog!! I love, love, love your posts and writing style! You always crack me up! AND inspire me. Great combo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your weight loss success in totally impressive. You're the envy of many people. You are probably working on overall fitness now. I'll be keeping up with your progress. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Um, Jack...why are you dressed like Billy Mays in your "after" photo?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the write up on AOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you're gonna hang around jack. And trust me, even if later you fluctuate up over 200...getting into onederland is an experience many should have...glenda awaits.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's an awesome AOL write-up! Kudos, Jack!

    Glad you're keepin' the pup around. I'm sure you're rather fond of her, after all.

    Demolish those last few! The gates of onederland are before you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The question is, are you going to be giving the manicure and pedicure to the Brazilian Demi-God as a sop to placate the B.D.G. for being deprived of its rightful prize of pooch?

    I'm not sure that's good enough. Might want to throw in a back massage as well.

    Trust me, the last thing you need is a pissed off Brazilian Demi-God.

    ReplyDelete
  20. From what I've been told, maintenance seems to be the hardest part of it all. Luckily for you, I don't think it will be problem. You are accountable to all of the people who read your blog, which is why I believe that you will succeed in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on reaching your goal weight. I believe in you and your ability to keep it off for the rest of your life. Good luck on your other goals.

    -Denise

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just joined your site! You are hilarious and at the same time very insightful with great ideas :) I have over five years of experience at Jenny Craig and LA Weightloss and have had to battle my own weight; well my entire life.I finally have honed in on what works and thank god I fit into my jeans every day! No more battle of the buldge! Check me out and join if you like what you see! http://dietfix.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. AMEN on the lifetime to master, JackSh*t but a lifetime to master in a great way huh?

    sure as hell beats the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ummm, no more Jack Sh*t? I JUST CANT QUIT YOU! (Am off to figure out how to remotely inject your apples with butter and your green salads with carbs . . . )

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's funny when we're actually able to achieve goals we didn't know we would be able to do- I think a big part of that is that there is way more to all of us than we think, AND we have a really solid, fantastic support network to motivate us.

    Some of my challenges, I'm still surprised I managed to complete. After succeeding with the 100 push up challenge, I bought myself the mousepad that says "I did the hundred" on it to remind myself every day that I really DID do it, and it wasn't just a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad to hear you'll be around for awhile and that old dip has a chance for survival *smile*. Cool about the AOL article. Good luck with those goals.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your blog but will be sad to see it go..however, leaving in style [with a huuuge weight loss] is the way to do it! Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Okay. I just reread the post. Thanks for not calling me a dumbass. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You've inspired me. I'm quitting my blog when I've maintained for a lifetime too! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails