Saturday, December 12, 2009

Clear Out a Guest Room...

Welcome to “Same Old Sh*t” Saturday, where I go away and do fun things and make you read something that I wrote and posted months ago. Yay! Since I started my weight-loss blogapalooza back in April, I’ve written hundreds of posts, but this one (thanks to the magic of StumbleUpon) has been the most highly viewed by a four- or five-to-one margin. Truthfully, I never know how some of the stuff I write is going to be received; I was a little worried that this one would come off as too preachy, but it was definitely delivered from the heart.


You’re having problems losing this weight, maybe.

Teeter-tottering back and forth on the scale. Small gain this week, small loss next.

Three good days, one bad weekend.

Nothing that allows you to get any traction.

I feel for you; I really do. I read blogs by people who can’t seem to get going with their weight loss efforts, can’t seem to make that spark happen, and it makes me want to go to their house and bang on the flint with ‘em. It makes me want to drop everything and make it my mission to push them… push you… up that hard-to-climb hill.

You know what I’d do?

  • I’d drag you, kicking and screaming if I had to, to the gym every day. “How about an ‘off” day?” you’d cry. “How about a ‘Fat Off’ Day?” I’d respond. I’d find whatever it is that motivates you… kind words, gentle prodding or harsh taunting… and I’d coax a good half hour to 45 minutes out of you. You’d hate me at the end of it, but you’d hate me with a smile on your sweaty mug.
  • I’d fix you stay-at-home dinners that would both intrigue you and fill you up, enough so that you might not have the urge to sneak back to the pantry before bedtime (not that it would matter, since I would have filled a Hefty bag with every processed snack product I could find). I’d insist that we eat slowly and drink lots of water during dinner. I’d remind you that you don’t have to scrape the plate clean. With my cooking, you probably won’t need that much urging.
  • I’d unplug your TV and computer at 10 p.m. or so and shoo you to bed. F*ck the beauty sleep; you need energy sleep.
  • I’d get you up bright and early and feed you a hearty breakfast. “I can’t lose weight eating like this,” you’d protest, and I’d just smile a knowing smile. “Don’t forget the lunch I packed you.” Before you left, I’d take the money out of your wallet because… well, let’s just say I don’t quite trust you yet.
  • We’d go on long walks, you and I. Long, brisk walks. We’d talk about our hopes and dreams, our goals and aspirations, my endless collection of really stupid jokes. Whatever. Important stuff or not. The walking’s the important thing.
  • If you hate your job, I mean really and truly despise it, then I’d plot and plan with you to figure out some way to either make it better for yourself or help you find a new one. You hate your body… that’s enough things to hate for one person at one time.
  • I’d make you so many smoothies you’d start to cringe when you heard the blender fire up, and there’s one question I’d refuse to answer: “What’s in this anyway?”
  • Don’t think I’d be doing this for completely selfless reasons either. One of the reasons I spend so much time on these blogs is that I feed off the spirit of others who are facing (and overcoming) the same hurdles and challenges that I am. We’re all on our own, at the end of the day, but we’re all in this together, too. I draw energy from that idea.
  • And speaking of energy, I’d do everything I could to instill some focus and extra drive in you and we’d attack this problem… and make no mistake about it, my friend, this is a problem that needs to be owned up to and solved. We’d make a plan about eating and we'd make a plan about exercise, and then we'd start doing the hard part: we’d stick to it. This wouldn’t be just about burning calories; it’d be about incinerating them.
  • And then there’s the fun part: I’d walk you up to that weigh-in with certainty and confidence, and I’d high-five you when you rock that scale and console you when it cheated us out of that loss that we so richly deserved.
We could do this, you and I. I’m certain that we could. I have not a doubt in this world.

But I can’t do it with you, right now. There’s too much on my plate at the moment (well, not literally… but you know what I mean). I can’t do it with you right now, but everything I’d do with you, you can do for yourself if you put your mind to it.

I hope you will do it. If you will, I promise you two things: (1) you’ll see results and (2) somewhere, be it just down the street, across the country or around the world, there’s at least one person right there with you, trying their best, working hard at doing what’s right and getting ready to face whatever it is tomorrow will bring.

Let’s do this.

21 comments:

  1. Exactly what I needed to read... think I'll re-read this one all week, if you don't mind ;)

    Come to think of it, last Saturday's re-hashed post was just as powerful. Thanks for this Jack. Blogging is so much better with you around. Heck, Life is better too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this post has been so popular, not because it is preachy but because you are befriending us. I would like to pretend that you ARE doing it with me, that someone else out there gives a damn about what he and I eat and do. I didn't like your opposite blog where you said that we were wasting our time reading you. I only had to think of your post 110% to know that that is not true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait a minute...

    Your name is Jack Schmidt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this post! I loved it when I first read and still love it. Great advice.

    I remember the first time I read it. I thought well, no one is going to do this stuff for me so I guess it's up to me to do it for me.

    Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember this one! I liked then and I like it now!
    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so right. We all have it in us to DO THIS, no matter how many times we've already tried. It is possible. Doable.

    You can come drag me to the gym anytime, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that post was well worthy of recycling, love it still, it was the very first post I read when I stumbled upon this blog!
    PS The guestroom is still available, but I don't think I quite need the shouting encouragement anymore, I'm good :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! Another reminder (slap in the face) it's all up to me to just get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. New post for me and brilliant...I agree and feel the same, I wish I could help others more as it can be done, its a mind set!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you ever do this, can I come!!!! I am so with you!

    Weight loss is hard work but not complicated. Do it for yourselves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll expect you tomorrow by noon. Bring your parka and 500 pairs of warm socks (per day). ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm 69 pounds down, and I do these things (aside from energy sleep. I should sleep more.)

    And the truth is that I've really enjoyed the challenge so far. Some days it sucks, but even on those days, I remind myself that I'd rather be sad about skipping cheesecake than sad about sitting on the sidelines of my life. And it works. It's head game more than anything for me...

    I know people who need to read this post...totally. I'll pass it along this weekend. Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a really great post, can see why it gets so many views! How about a new line of work... motivational speaking?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I'm bookmarking it for future reads. Thanks for re-posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I started again today...before I read your post. I love what you had to say, but I don't think anyone can do anything to get anyone else to that "I" need to do this space.

    My friends and family watch me start and flounder. When I am floundering nothing anyone else says influences me.

    Then I reach a point where I say "ENOUGH." This morning it happened again. I don't want to make grandiose pronouncements about how it will work this time. I just want to do it nice and quiet like.

    I do love the support I get from the blogging community, whether I am doing well or floundering. So Jack, even though you can't be here to prop me up on the treadmill, push me into the pool or cook me a nice omelet, I will look forward to your online support.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jack. I almost cried reading this. Thanks!
    (I'm a soppy old thing!)

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember this post, I even remember my original comment...which was some smart ass version of "you can let me out of the box now.'
    I don't do well with mushy and sincere.
    I like the post though, it was very nice.
    I am also glad to see that dip is safe and your toes and fingers are going to get purtied up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, and believe it or not...I wrote 100 things I would rather do than regain my weight yesterday...it was haaaard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic blog, and congratulations on the weight lost so far. Enjoy your trip around the world.

    I just made the first post to my new blog. My before pictures are quite horrendous (you've been warned).

    This blog has given me a lot of good ideas, though. You really seem to have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Thanks for reposting this. Since the start of my health journey, I have also wanted to help others in their own journey. I have this dream of being a personal trainer without the high cost. No one should pay a hefty sum for health.

    -Denise

    ReplyDelete
  21. never read it before, really glad I have now, I am currently that person who needs the kicking, dragging, etc. And I am the person who needs to kick and drag and make it happen. thanks for excellent motivation!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails